The Allied landing beaches in Normandy represent five beaches used during the landing on June 6, 1944 during the Battle of Normandy during the Second World War. Due to their historical and symbolic importance, a nomination for the inclusion of the Beaches on the World Heritage List (UNESCO) was submitted in January 2018 by the French Government. This application is currently under examination
On June 6, 1944, in the early morning, American, British and Canadian soldiers landed on 5 beaches in Normandy: Operation Overlord was launched.
That’s where it all started. This area, which extends from Sainte-Marie-du-Mont to Quinéville, was chosen by the Americans to be able to reach the port of Cherbourg more quickly, a few kilometres to the northwest. Today, if nature has regained its rights, we cannot help but imagine and tremble for these men engaging in fear and the unknown. A museum pays tribute to them and tells, in 10 chronological sequences, about the adventure that was D-Day, from its preparation to its completion.
In the centre of the landing zone, it was the British who stepped ashore, guided by General Graham. At Arromanches, they built a gigantic artificial port to supply all the troops involved in Operation Overlord. A real technical feat, it is now celebrated by a museum that explains its design.
There were 14,000. 14,000 young Canadians, volunteering. Nearly half of them died in this area that had been affected and was heavily defended by the Germans, armed with anti-tank guns and machine guns. And it is still young Canadians who welcome you today to the Juno Beach Centre, the only museum to date dedicated to Canadians during the Second World War.
It is this beach, more precisely Ouistreham, which was chosen to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings in 2014. 70 years earlier, the British No. 4 Commando, led by Commander Kieffer and assisted by 177 French marine riflemen, landed and liberated Ouistreham, as recalled in the video shown at the No. 4 Commando Museum.
Shortly after the landing, she was already known as “Bloody Omaha”, which means “bloody Omaha”. That’s how many people were killed there! An American cemetery, inaugurated in 1956, actually has 9,387 headstones, a painful testimony to what the Battle of Normandy meant.